Damper Flanges?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 21:44:16 -0600

Hi John,
             I've run into the same problem.
Here is how I solved the problem.

Take off the top damper and remove the flange. Use as a template.
Take the new flange and mark the forward position of the slot to coincide with
the sample.
Use a Japanese pull saw to make a cut in the required position.
Chip out the excess wood.
You may have to shorten the overall length of the flange on a disc sander. (a
probability)
secondly you may have to elongate the flange screw hole.(another probability)
When reinstalling the flange, it will want to twist since the slot is there to
hold it in position, so apply some pressure to evenly push the flange back
into
the action when tightening the flange screw.
Make good and sure that the lever is square with the ones beside it, and has
not twisted.
When you can not get matching replacement parts, you are between a rock and a
hard place so improvise.
Regards Roger

At 10:30 PM 21/10/99 -0300, you wrote:

> Hi List,
> For the full size upright, I can only find one size of flange.
> The centre pin holes are too far from the rail, and the damper stands out.
> What can be done to put the dampers on the same plane.
> I can bend the head to fit, but then when the pedal is used, it comes off
> uneven.
> I could use a thicker cloth on the damper lever.
> I guess what I really want to know, is, is there a source for other size
> flanges, or are we stuck with one size?
> I didn't have the chance to repair the old flange, these are a few that have
> been replaced previously.
> Has anyone tried redrilling and rebushing a new position for the pin?
> Regards,
> John M. Ross
> Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Roger Jolly