Wound Wire breakage in churchs

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:45:18 -0500 (CDT)

>>Well, when one thing doesn't work, go and do something else to pinpoint
>>this problem.  Seven RPT's in the area told me that my playing is not the
>>cause for this massive string breakage.  And if it was, I would go out
>>and buy a Steinway to relinquish the problem once and for all.  Maybe if
>>this technician would quit using wire bought by the bulk and try the
>>German made Roulau (sp?) wire, the problem will be solved.
>>

>>Matthew

* Matthew,
It's having the problem because it's not a Steinway?! Ok then, if strings
don't break on Steinways, who's sneaking in and cutting these "broken"
strings I sometimes replace on Steinway grands (yes, I am occasionally
allowed to touch one)? There's a technical term for "information" of this
type and quality... huh? How about some information on the piano that's
having the problem? With some real information, we will try to come up with
some meaningful suggestions. We may not be able to cure it by E-mail, but at
least we'll have some idea what we're discussing.

>Have you been selectively rebreaking the strings already broken?
>
>Do you know the history of the M&H before you started playing it?
>You may have inherited wire that was already stressed out and about
>to lose it. Did the piano, when you started playing it, already
>have replaced strings?
>
>Have you played other pianos and had wire break?

* Good questions. Also, tell us about the hammers. Age, original or not,
hardness, wear, shape, and action regulation specs.

>I haven't found that Mason & Hamlin (what size and date?) break
>more wire than other pianos, but then I may not have enough
>experience with them.

* I have, but it's not what you'd call dramatic or conclusive evidence.
Perhaps it's that 40+ degree counter bearing angle on some models. There's
one BB in particular that gets three or four strings a year, and it's in a
small piano studio in a college, not a church. Then again, maybe I'm just
imagining the whole thing.

>My impression is that most of the wire we buy is pretty good,
>but maybe some other list members can expand on that.
>
>Susan

* I've had occasional rare problems in years past, but these days, it seems
to be pretty good stuff.

 Ron N