Insuring pianos in the shop, etc.

Stan Kroeker stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:58:48 -0500

Lance,

My restoration contract includes a very simple clause which, when signed and
dated, releases me of liability while a client's piano is in my possession.
It also states clearly that any insurance coverage is solely the client's
responsibility.  Most families' home and contents insurance cover their
pianos whether they are in the home or out for repairs.  The clause simply
precludes their insurance company suing me to recover their loss.

That being said, my business insurance includes $10,000 coverage for
clients' pianos in my possession.  The premiums are a cost-effective second
line of defense.

Regards,

Stan Kroeker
Registered Piano Technician