Wound Wire breakage in churchs

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 01:08:40 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/99 11:44:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tito@PhilBondi.com writes:

<< Recently, I have been called to tune pianos in churches where there was
broken
 wound wire. I replaced the wound wire in one piano(Samick Grand), tuned and
was
 on my way. 2 weeks later I am getting a call from that same church that
there is
 another broken wire in the piano.

 I'm tempted to adjust let-off as to deny power to this obviously hard player.

 what would you do?

 Rook

We attend a charismatic church and I am constantly replacing broken strings,
as well as tweak out of tune strings between services. Even strings I just
replaced. Churches that use a full band for worship are ones that tend to
have breakage problems.  Chances are the pianist is attempting to hear him or
herself playing above the decibels of the band.  It is best to have the piano
monitor loud enough to hear.

Setting the let off wider will help. Or pray for the pianist not to play so
hard.  Sometimes the spirit flows and the strings will break anyway.

Hope this helps.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR