etd's

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 19:12:37 -0400

I may as well answer these:

At 03:36 PM 10/16/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I still use the old 486 now and then, and it works as well as it
>ever did, but will certainly fail some day. Hard drive? and would
>the HD be replaceable five or ten years from now?

Don't know why you'd want to couple a 486 to a new hard drive in ten years,
but likely by then the smallest HD's will be on the order of terrabytes,
therefore not recognized by the existing bios. Besides, there seems to be
an inordinate number of new(er) 486's that are not Y2K compliant.

>So, computer knowledgeable people, how long will a good quality
>laptop pump electrons before it assumes the mental activity
>level of a tea tray?

Assuming quality, the laptop will pump electrons for a long time. The
second part of the question, however, that of assuming the mental activity
level of a tea tray -- about 6 months or until you load anything that
didn't come with the device, whichever occurs first.

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
"Linux, WinNT and MS-DOS. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"