etd's

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 19:01:38 -0500

les bartlett wrote:
>I've not heard any discussion of "longevity" regarding ETD's.   I am
>beginning to seriously consider one, and wonder what the "useful life" of
>a SAT III is, vs. the life of a laptop.   Thanks

I'm not exactly sure when I bought my SAT II (serial # 1234), but it was
probably just awhile after the new model change. Seven years ago, maybe? It
could have been even longer ago. The machine is still  functioning quite
well.
Whether you feel the need to upgrade the moment a new version is available
is up to your own "need & desire". The SAT II has certainly been quite
durable.
I'll let others comment on the durability of their laptops (my Powerbook
150 ((purchased Jan 95)) never had enough processor speed to run
CyberTuner, seems to have recently suffered HD failure, and is just too
slow ((25 mHz)) to bother to spend $ repairing it).
I do admit to fantasizing about buying an iBook and trying out CyberTuner.

Patrick