Wound Wire breakage in churchs

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 16:20:06 -0400

Hi Phil,

Frustrating, isn't it?!!

There are a bunch of possible solutions, most of which have been suggested.

1)  File, voice, needle hammers - good idea, it may help.
2)  PA system, and a monitor speaker just for the pianist - good idea, if
you can get them to do it.
3)  Adjust letoff to rob power from the action - I've done this one, it can
work.  But I've also been told that if taken too far, it can cause jacks to
start breaking.  (On my customer's, it took the piano from one or two broken
strings a month, to one or two a year.  Certainly worth exploring.)
4)  Do nothing but keep replacing strings as they break, and explain why
they continue to break - frustrating and annoying for both you and the
customer.
5)  Replace all of the wound strings with a set that are made for just such
situations.  (I believe they are strings made in a lower tension scale.)
They will not give the same characteristics of sound (I've been told), but
will not break as easily.  One or two people on the list have recommended
Danny at GC Piano, and perhaps Mapes as possible sources for the redesigned
bass string scale and strings.  I'm sure there are others who can do the
same job.  Not having personal experience, I can't personally recommend.

Other than that, I can't think of any practical solutions that the
technician could do, other than perhaps a little chat with God.  ;-)

Good luck, Phil,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net