help! w/ werckmeister III

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 10:28:49 -0500

This is to consolidate some info on Werchmeister III....  The theory  is
all fifths are tuned pure execpt C-G-D-A, and B-F#.  These tempered fifths are 1/4
comma in the Jorgensen book.  Some books say 1/3 comma was used, but perhaps
that was in the I or II temps?
	In the Jorg book only 3 fifths need be tempered in 1/4 comma.  The Fifth... B--F#
.....results from tuning down from C to F pure fifths to Gb... as pointed out by
Mike
Keener.
The Jorgensen book shows through equal beating rates (a modern innovation?) how to
get the G, D and A, the three notes that need to be tempered.  Includes music staff
notation, one temp on one page.
---ric