Old Chickering Concert Grand

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 21:45:12 -0200

Roger,

Too bad on the strings. Chickering scales and bass strings were a lot
different than anything I've heard recently, with low inharmonicity which
combine nicely with the qualities of straight stringing. Despite removing the
plate to recap the bridges, we didn't change any of the strings on ours (I've
heard rumors about the bass being silver wound).

I'd think that Renner hammers would be way too hard and heavy. We've used
Ronsen in the past, although the new Abel sets are light enough they are
still quite hard.

Chickering boards always seem to be rough, poorly matched and rarely with
vertical grain.

I'm glad yours has turned out well in the end.

regards,

Clark