RPT Exams

Roger C Hayden rchayden1@juno.com
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 20:38:31 -0400

Jim,

Prepping for the exam was great.  I learned a great deal, yet found out
that I already knew and could do much that was required.  It is extremely
gratifying to meet (and exceed) these standards and sense the foundation
of information and skills they give us all.  It also opens doors of
mutual respect and professionalism that our disjointed and potentially
lonely occupation needs for communication and growth.

When I went it alone I grew very slowly.  When I got with the Guild and
worked for the RPT, my repertoire of skills and resultant earnings
multiplied.  These are a great bunch of folks who can't share enough with
each other.  The RPT puts you into the credibility plateau.  (Yet we all
know there are many more who qualify, but haven't run the friendly
gauntlet, yet.)

Go for it.  You'll be glad you did.

Roger C. Hayden, RPT
Clarks Summit, PA

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:31:26 -0700 "James McCormac" <jmccorm@tfb.com>
writes:
> Yesterday I reached one of my goals and became a Registered Piano
> Technician. I am pleased and proud to have demonstrated the basic
> skills required of an RPT. I am also grateful that there are
> dedicated members of our guild who serve on the examining boards.
> Here in southern California we have a fantastic group of examiners,
> most of whom have served for over a decade in the examination
> trenches. They include Carl Lieberman, secretary/treasurer; Teri
> Meredyth, Stephen Schell,  and Brian Holt for the tuning exam; and
> Kathy Smith and David Vanderlip for the technical exam. I have
> greatly appreciated their enthusiasm and encouragement. We are
> indeed fortunate to have such folk in our midst.
>     I encourage those of you who have not yet taken the challenge to
> become a registered technician to get your courage "to the sticking
> place" and begin the process. You will find it a great learning
> experience.
>
> Jim McCormac AB, MA, RPT
> San Diego Chapter
> Fallbrook, California