What do you do with a square action?

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:32:36 -0400

Couldn't resist this one...

>Seeing how open fires are not aloud in Las Vegas city limits, what
>could one do with one of these things?  Any ideas?

Option one. Take it -outside- the city limits. It may be too far for this
small project, but toward Barstow/San Berdoo, you'll find SideWinder Road,
the area where off-roaders do their thing. (I refer to it as the world's
largest ashtray). Your square action qualifies as a "ballistics
entertainment device", and would qualify for the "treatment". I've seen
holy (holey?) lawn mowers from Montgomery Ward, obsolete computers, and Mad
Man Muntz TV's. There have also been automobiles -- one Cadillac (didn't
have enough ground clearance and punctured the oil pan), and a couple
Fords. It appears that any Chrysler product is also fair game. After the
ammunition runs out, it is often customary (but not required) to offer the
object to the fire gods, with either gasoline or Coleman fuel acting as the
catalyst. On anything that is normally powered by gasoline, the additional
catalyst is usually not required -- one round at the right place provides
the requisite spark.

You'd have created your own smaller version of the Great Atlantic City
Bonfire, and could talk about it for years!

Option two: Was it not someone on this list who did a Yamaha keyset
retro-fit for some artist, only to have that person make an unusual piece
of art by hanging the old keys on the wall?

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.