What do you do with a square action?

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 00:35:08 -0400

Rob,

You might want to send Larry Crabb a message about this.  He restores
squares and might be interested.  He's in the directory or you can email him
at lbcrabb@mindspring.com.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Assistant Institute Director
PTG Annual Convention
Arlington, VA July 5-9, 2000
Agilreath@mindspring.com
706 629-3063

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Robert Goodale
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 10:01 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: What do you do with a square action?

Howdydoo

I made a new client today. An interesting local character who has had
a mixed-bag career as a teacher,  performer, and piano enthusiest.
Myself and Alan Meyer are overhauling the action for his Bechstein.
Meanwhile in the next room he has a square grand.  I can't remember
the name.  "Somebody or another & Sons".  Anyway he has is all torn
apart and it didn't take much persuasion to make him realize that this
"thing" was not worth putting money into.  He now wants to preserve
the case only and install a digital piano inside.  With the action
already out and leaning againt a wall he wants to give it the ol'
heave right away.  He asked Alan and I if we wanted it for anything.
Admittedly we stood there scratching or heads thinking... "well it's
kinda too cool to just throw into a dumpster...  but on the other
hand, what would one do with an old square action that would justify
saving it?"

Seeing how open fires are not aloud in Las Vegas city limits, what
could one do with one of these things?  Any ideas?  Otherwise I'll run
over it a few times with the pick-up and let Alan take some pictures!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV