Finishing question...Doug M.

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:28:21 -0400

Hi Doug,

I know it's an old thread, but I wondered if you might elaborate on this one
a little bit.

> A thin layer of drywall compound fills pours too.  Easily sanded smooth
and
> takes color great.
> Doug Mahard

 What kind of procedure would you use to apply the compound?

I was just wondering how the finished product might look.  On my finishing
projects to date, I've used a black or dark brown wood filler to fill the
pores, which gives a nice contrast and character to the wood.  If I used
drywall compound, would it tend to stain lighter or darker than the
surrounding mahogany?  Or would it be pretty much the same color?  Could I
add a coloring agent to the drywall compound that wouldn't interfere with
it's hardening?

I was talking to a buddy of mine that does a lot of refinishing, and he
asked if I would inquire about it further.  And since it might be of
interest to others, I decided to post it on the list.

Any input?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Brian Trout