who is sheldon smith?

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:09:31 +0200

Mr Creasy:

I understand that you have experienced working with what you experience as a
very high quality technician in Sheldon. I personally know nothing of the man,
so I have no chance of having a personal opinion on his qualifications, I simply
have to take for granted that what you and others have stated about this man
represent a relatively clear picture of a highly professional technician, above
the norm.

Regardless of his experience and qualifications, you must be aware that the San
Fransisco / Oakland area is a very large area indeed, with some of the nations
best Universities and a cultural life superior to many other cities of
comparable size in the US. That being the case I am very sure indeed you will
find that there are Techs in the area who are able to step into Sheldons shoes,
and in time (if not immediately) fill them. This is an opportunity for you, to
get to know better the technician community in the Bay Area and I would
encourage you to do so. PTG members are by and large dedicated proffesionals who
sincerely want to become as good at what they do as they can. Again, attend some
of the local chapter meetings, get to know these fine folks, and if you feel the
need to.. audition some of them for whatever position you have in mind.

No technician of the quality you refer to will just "move" into San Fransisco
without having a specific position such as the one you mention at Davis Symphony
Hall or at the University of Berkeley.  If these institutions post a national
add looking for someone to fill these positions as fomally salaried employees,
then import of some such tech would perhaps be realistic. Untill that happens,
you are best served by finding the best that the Bay area has to offer. I have
no doubt whatso ever that San Fransiscos finest, are very fine indeed.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway