who is sheldon smith?

James Creasy jcre@mozart.com
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:37:57 -0700

i'm sorry i was not clear in my initial request about technicians.

sheldon was the chief technician at Davis Symphony Hall, home of the San
Francisco Symphony and many concerts of all types.  he was also chief tech
at UC Berkeley and rebuilt almost all of the concert instruments there, as
well as being the technician and rebuilder for many of us with smaller
careers in the bay area.

i am a semi-professional pianist with a good steinway B and have played and
performed on many fine concert instruments across the country.  i have also
apprenticed as a piano technician but never worked as one.

sheldon was not an easy person to have as a technician. his quality of
perfectionism made him often many hours late- working on other projects, and
i needed to book him 3 months in advance.  even then he would often
reschedule at the last moment.  he was very generous but could be moody.

but i greatly appreciated his skill and commitment to my instruments,
supporting my career and providing a center to a musical community.

a technician contributes their artistry to the performance and possibilities
of my instrument, and i seek (and will be deeply thankful) for a technician
that will help me in this lifelong pursuit.   losing sheldon as this partner
in music and as a friend was a terrible loss to me and our musical
community.

there is an opportunity here for a technician interested in a group of
clients that are very appreciative, knowledgeable, skilled and own top notch
instruments.  which is what i originally meant to say! :)

-james creasy
berkeley, ca
www.klio.net/piano