In memoriam for Sheldon Smith

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 09 Oct 1999 01:47:04 -0400

Jason, thanks for the wonderful memorium. You knew the same Sheldon Smith
as I. Unfortunately, I knew him for less time, and only for moments in
time. However, for one item you mentioned, I can share a memory...

Many moons ago, George Defebaugh and I co-chaired the Southern California
PTG convention, held that year at the Hollywood Universal Sheridan hotel.
Being the senior and better known person, we (or was it he) agreed that
George would do the political stuff (smiling and handshaking), and I would
do the grunt work. Part of that grunting job was commuting to the hotel
early each morning (I lived nearby at that time), to set up rooms, signs
and props.

The first morning of classes, I arrived at 6:00am. The lobby was totally
deserted, except for the desk clerk, myself, and one other person...
Sheldon. He appeared already dressed for the day (Bay area style or Sheldon
style -- don't know which), and was slowly pacing back and forth in the
lobby, with a facial expression that reflected deep thoughts. I felt guilty
by greeting him and obviously upsetting those thoughts, but it would have
been equally inappropriate to ignore him. I apologized for the
interruption. He smiled and waved it off, then explained that he was
mentally preparing for his upcoming class. I suppose the pacing was just
part of the process, since I do the exact same thing. Well, except for the
6:00am thing!

Thanks again for the heart-felt post.

Jim Harvey, RPT

At 12:19 PM 10/8/99 -0700, you wrote:
[cut]
>... Sheldon loved his work, loved it so
>much that he would come into the shop between 5 and 6 am, work on his
>rebuilding (usually 3 or 4 grands in process at any given time), then go out
>at about 9 and tune 6 pianos a day, then return to the shop and do some more
>rebuilding work! And he told me "I love this so much that I would pay people
>to let me tune their pianos."
[cut]