Finishing question

Fri, 8 Oct 1999 08:05:45 -0400

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999 22:58:13 -0500 Charles E Faulk <cfaulk2@juno.com>
writes:
>> I've never tried glue-sizing in my present shop work. Old veneer
> doesn't seem to pose the same problems that new wood does. Besides I
> can take my time.
>
> Charles Faulk, RPT

Hi Charles -

Ah, the luxury of time!  Nothing better than time when doing finishing.

I started using the glue sizing as a first step about 8 years ago when I
switched from solvent based NC lacquer to water-based finishes.  If you
apply water based finishes directly onto raw, or even stripped old wood,
considerable grain raising or "swelling" can occur.  The hide glue helped
minimize that considerably.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com