"Verdigris" in new wippens?

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Tue, 05 Oct 1999 10:36:33 -0200

I inherited a _remanufactured_ Knabe action, essentially stripped of
moving parts. The hammers/flanges appear to be Renner (they look like
birch rather than maple, and these needed repinning, too); the wippens
look like supply-house parts recommended among others for replacing
Knabe wippens. These are maple - in more than a few cases there is very
obvious tear-out, either reglued or simply missing.

Upon discovering that the wippen flanges were extremely tight, I started
to ream and repin (so far about 95%). The original pins have a solid
residue which makes it difficult to extract the center pin by hand from
even one bushing. I've repinned one section already, and I haven't yet
tried any solvents on the pins.

Without reaming, a pin of appropriate fit for the bushing is too small
for the hole in the wippen. Does anyone recognize this, and does anyone
have any insight as to whether simply reaming the bushings or reaming
the bushings in conjuction with a solvent?

I wish this had come with the original parts - even rebuilt, these will
only just work.

Thanks in advance,

Clark Panaccione