Finishing question

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 07:25:59 -0400

Bob,

Finishing is an art, all finishers are artists, and all artists use
different techniques.  You will find some who stain, then fill, some who
fill then stain, some who stain, fill, and then stain.  If you understand
the consequences of each approach you will be better prepared to make your
own decision.

If you stain , fill,  then sand, you may get an uneven surface color and
texture, and the filler color may not match too well.

If you fill, sand, and then stain, the filler may not take the stain as well
as the wood, and the filled grain may stand out.

If you stain, fill, sand, and then stain you could have all of the above
problems or none of them.

Call me crazy, but for clear finishes I do not use a paste filler.  I find
that I can fill all the grain with a good sanding sealer and about as much
work as is involved with paste grain filler.  I use M.L. Campbell products
when I can get them and I highly recommend their sanding sealer.  Try
brushing or rolling on the first coat for a quick build.

For ebony finishes, stain makes little difference.  I fill with paste
filler, sand, use a black sanding sealer, then black lacquer.

Good Luck,

Frank Weston