Stranger than fiction?

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 20:11:05 -0500 (CDT)

>Sorry for the of topic, but let me run this by you people - I have a
customer that wants to experiment with piano wire in his weed eater ILO
plastic. He apparently has a machine that uses 24" x 3/8" (or so) plastic
strands that wrap somehow around an armature adn thinks that piano wire
would be more effective. Dare I give him a piece to experiment with? I'm
having trouble with product liability in that because I know what his
intended purpose is I am not without responsibility in selling the product
for a purpose for which it is not intended. What if somebody gets hurt if
the wire gets loose? Ideas?

>Roy Ulrich

About twenty years ago, someone asked me for some music wire for this
purpose. I told him that the weed whacker used monofilament in the first
place to make it less likely that people would be able to hurt themselves
with the thing, and if he was going to bypass that safety feature, I didn't
intend to be a party to the amputation. I don't know if he abandoned the
idea or not, but at least I don't have any trophy toes on my wall.

 Ron N