Q:Kranich & Bach Surprise!?

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Sun, 03 Oct 1999 11:43:16 -0700

Diane Hofstetter wrote:

> 2.  The sostenuto system looks like a great idea--there is a wooden rail
> that runs behind the damper wires, a lever moves it toward the damper wire
> flanges when the pedal is depressed and a piece of plastic? film? leather?
> that is sandwiched between two parts of the wooden rail engages damper
> spoons that are mounted on the back of the damperwire flanges.  Does anyone
> know what that material is and how difficult it would be to replace it?

The material could be rubber (is it black?).  I found that a brass strip
coated with flange bushing cloth worked perfectly and is permanent.  You
have to take the two halves apart and make sure your thickness and width
measurements are perfect.  It's a pain, but it does the job, and yes, I
did charge accordingly, with a slight allowance in the customer's favor
for my learning curve and overcaution.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA