Balance rail bearings

Robert A. Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Fri, 01 Oct 1999 17:00:23 -0700

I've been doing some key levelling today on an S&S M. The setup of
balance rail bearings and balance rail bearing strips isn't very
friendly to spot levelling. The front strip blocks the view of the
punchings under the bearings. Since I didn't want to take the stack off,
I came up with a new solution (for me): I removed the front balance rail
bearing strip. Then it was an easy matter to remove the offending
punchings.

I wondered if there was an important function of the strips. I suppose
they could keep loose bearings from twisting. (Loose bearings - another
peeve of mine - I really have to take the stack off to size the bearing
holes.) In the present case the D's, G's and A's could twist. I guess
I'll find out by observing what happens after the piano is played for a
while.

Does anyone have any other techniques for getting around these bearings
and strips for spot levelling? One idea that occurred to me is to reduce
the thickness of the bearings by the thickness of a thin cloth punching,
then add thin cloth punchings over the bearings and add paper punchings
directly under the new cloth punchings. This wouldn't defeat any
theoretical advantage of the bearings, or so it seems to me. I haven't
gone to the trouble to try this out yet. Maybe some day when I have more
time than is good for me.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ