Pins

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 25 May 1999 08:56:18 EDT

In a message dated 5/25/99 12:05:56 PM !!!First Boot!!!, nhunt@jagat.com
writes:

<< Yesterday I looked at a Reinhardt upright, about the '20s with no
 plate bushings and the tuning pins resting on the bottom of the pin
 hole.

 Consequently the piano is untunable...period

 ....  The piano is not worth but a small amount of
 effort and the owner realizes such.  She got the piano for free, has a
 talented son and is looking for a superior instrument.

 Nonetheless, I throw the problem in the ring to see how you jump upon
 it.

 		Newton >>

There are three main aspects of a piano: the finish, the action and the
strings/pinblock/soundboard. If any one of these three is beyond repairing,
it is time to consider the ultimate alternative.

This topic has been discussed over and over. I know there are some of you out
there who think these old uprights are worth restoring. But aside from making
money for yourself, are old uprights really worth it? For the same money,
aren't there new pianos that will sound and play as good? Yes, the cabinets
don't look like the older ones, but is that all there is to a piano? And for
the money spent on restoring the old upright, will the structure last as long
as a new piano?

If the customer is looking for a "superior" instrument, for the cost of
repinning and repairing the pin block area, she can buy a 20 or 30 year old
Wurlitzer, G. Steck, or Everett console.

Willem Blees.