Hex wire

dporritt dporritt@swbell.net
Tue, 11 May 1999 18:12:18 -0500

Shaff advertises their universal strings with hex wire cores.  They even
have a greatly enlarged picture of it in their new catalog.  I have never
seen a universal string I could like.  If you install them with a round core
string as the other string of a pair, the inharmonicity is quite different
and they can't be tuned.  Some partials will have a loud obnoxious beat.  If
you buy their sets of Universals, you'd have to buy two sets to even come
close to having a matching pair.  I gave up on them 20 years ago.  The
inharmonicity seems to be quite a bit higher than round core wire.  At least
that's what I have found.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts