Currier pianos

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 6 May 1999 11:36:38 -0500

Greetings, List.

I have tuned several Curriers (2 spinets, 1 console) in the past week. They
may qualify as PSOs. I made them sound better, but they still did not sound
all that good when I was finished. The unisons had no beat in them, but
there was a "waver" or something (I don't know just how to describe it) that
I could not tune out.

Is it possible to make a Currier sound "good", or must we be satisfied with
"better"? If it is possible for them to sound good, what is the secret to
it? I want to do the best job possible, but I don't want to spend precious
time if it will accomplish no measurable good.

I read in the Pianotech archives (from some time ago) that at a convention
there was a Grand brand spinet that sounded very good, according to the
author. I have tuned a couple of "Grands", and this was not at all my
reaction. :-)

In general, what should we expect from these cheaper pianos?

I look forward to hearing about your experiences with this type instrument.

John Formsma