loose pins

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:42:01 -0600 (CST)

At 12:36 PM 3/31/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>I have a Vose grand that needs about 20 pins tightened.  I am not in favor
>of doping and the plate holes are so small that there is no room to put in
>oversize pins.  Can I drill out the holes slightly, if so, how and with
>what?  Or is there a better method?  The owner is not willing to replace
>the block for cost reasons.
>
>Paul Plumb, B.Mus.,
>Plumb Pianos

I seem to recall the Vose uprights having tapered tuning pins. Any chance
the grands did too? If so, a little tap will tighten them up without
lowering them significantly if the block isn't delaminating. I like to try
the cheap non destructive stuff first. Otherwise, if it's worth drilling out
the plate and replacing twenty pins, it's worth a new block and strings. If
twenty are loose now, how many more can you expect next winter? The owner
will be happy to remind you that you already "fixed" this once, and at some
expense, even though it's different pins this round.  If it doesn't fix
fairly easily, and they don't want to do it right, maybe you can get Jon to
chase them off for you. <G>

Errata: My spell checker suggests "Lose" as a correction for "Vose". Doesn't
mean anything, it just seemed sort of prophetic. Be careful.

 Ron