Leveling a plate? Del? Ron? Anybody?

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:52:16 -0500

It makes sense to me. Now that you've had your coffee, another question.
Assume as constants that vertical pin material is harder than normal hitch
pins; that there is less string trauma from bends, and even that there is
better energy transfer from string to bridge (less clamping effect), what
about the mechanical ramifications of a retro-fit? Off-the-top thoughts:

weakened surfaces from removing(?) existing hitch pins;
considerations of original plate thickness in desired mounting location.

I'm trying to make an analogy with a straight nail and one that is
toe-nailed. It isn't working on face value, since there's no potential at
the -top- of either nail. So, I'm curious about what sort of forces exist
at the -bottom- of a straight pin that has xx pounds of one-way potential
at the -top- of the same pin. Is there a possibility of tear-out if the
plate was not originally cast for this use?

Jim Harvey, RPT
[Inquiring minds want to know; stupid minds want to grow up to become
inquiring.]

[snip]