glue

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart@juno.com
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:32:36 -0600

I know there was a recent thread discussing hide glue.  I contacted Bjorn
Industries and got more information than I'll ever use about the stuff.
I'll paste a quip here from the May newsletter I'm presently working on
for the local chapter. They might be worth knowing, espeically for people
who do a lot of rebuilding.

>From Bjorn Industries, in their pamphlet introducing hide glue: “Nearly
4,000 years ago,
the Egyptians were using hide glue for their furniture adnesive. This is
proven by chairs
fouind in Pharaoh’s tombs and by stone carvings depicting the process of
gluing different
woods. Hide glue is still in use today for wood gluing and over the years
much has been
written about the manufacture and use of hide glue for hundreds of other
adhesive
application. With the evolution of synthetic (ready to use) adhesives,
hide glue has taken a
lesser role in idustry but has maintained a major role in repair and
restoration of antique
furniture, reproduction of period furniture, restoration, production and
repair of musical
instruments.”   Bjorn industries offers ten different grades of hide
glue, and charges from
$3.95 to $8.00 per pound, based on quantities purchased.  They may be
contacted at 551
King Edward Rd., Charlotte, NC 28211, or at 704-364-1186.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]