Pierce Interpretation...

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:55:10 -0800

Jim & List,

In Jim's example I would understand to mean that in 1840 the
first piano was #1 (obviously).  Between 1840 and 1845 1200
pianos were built or 1199 to be exact.  In 1845 they began the
1200th piano.  So I would estimate that 240 pianos a year
were produced and use that for my age determination.  I
wouldn't make very good business sense to make one piano
the first year would it?

It seems pretty clear to me even if I do live in a fog bank...

David Ilvedson, RPT