Pierce Interpretation...

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 12:25:00 -0800

Thomas D. Seay, III wrote:

> >Yesterday I tuned an old Story & Clark Upright.  The former tech. placed
> >a piece of masking tape next to the name on the plate that read "Made in
> >1907."
> >
> >I was caught by surprise as I interpreted the serial number in the
> >Pierce Atlas as 1908.
> >
> >Here is what Pierce reads:
> >
> >Story & Clark
> >21,400 - 1907
> >24,100 - 1908
> >
> >I have always interpreted this as " by the end of 1907, Story & Clark
> >(and all other manufacturers) produced 21,400 pianos."
> >
> >Am I wrong?  Could it be interpreted as "As of Janurary 1st, 1907,
> >21,400 pianos have been produced.  And as of Jan. 1st, 1908, 24,100
> >pianos have been produced, and so on..."
> >
> >Thanks in advance!
> >
> >Jay Mercier
> >Piano Technician
> >Glenwood, MN
>
> Jay,
>
> I have always thought that the 21400 was the first piano built in 1907 and
> that 24100 was the first piano built in 1908.
>
> Tom
Contrary to the way most of my colleagues read it, I have always thought
that the serial number represented the last piano built in the year
indicated.  One indication of this is that the number in the first year
of manufacture is never zero - or so I thought.  As a test I checked
Fazioli, and guess what?  The number for the first year is 1.  I suppose
Fazioli may have made only one piano that year, but the more likely
explanation is that the number is the first piano produced in the year
listed.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT