Why Strings Break

JPIESIK JPIESIK@arinc.com
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 9:23 -0500

Shifting gears a bit on the string replacement thread:

I've heard that strings should never break during a tuning *if* you
are using the proper technique. The proper technique, per one opinion,
is to *always* lower tension before turning a pin.

I thought that strings break during a tuning for a variety of reasons,
most that we cannot control. Can we *completely* avoid string breakage
during a tuning by using a particular tuning technique as I was told?

I tell folks that the poor quality steel wire, the piano design, the
condition of the piano, how hard the piano is played, and over-tension
could all lead to string breakage. And if a string breaks, they pay to
replace it. Is this a correct analysis?

Regards,

John Piesik, RPT
Oceanside, CA