Leveling a plate? KC Class

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 00:19:15 -0600

Nick Gravagne will do a both a regular class and a hands on session on this
very topic in Kansas City.

Ya'll come now, hear?
Dale
Dale Probst
Assistant Institute Director
Kansas City--July 21-25,1999
wardprobst@cst.net
(940)691-3682 voice
(940) 691-6843 fax
http://www.ptg.org/1999/conv/

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of btrout@desupernet.net
Sent: Monday, March 29, 1999 7:59 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Leveling a plate? Del? Ron? Anybody?

The recent thread on removing bass strings brought this up briefly.

How do you set a grand plate that sets on wooden dowels so that the
plate goes in 'unstressed'?  It's easy on the Baldwins where the plate
just sets there on the bolts.  But on many pianos the plate sets on
either wooden blocks, or dowels.

I'm curious if anyone has a good technique for getting all of those
dowels or blocks to come into contact with the bottom of the plate at
the same time so that the plate isn't put under excessive stresses just
being bolted into the case.  In the past I've generally come pretty
close to duplicating what came out, but I'm thinking I can do better.

Any thoughts???

Thanks,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.