Damper Configurations

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:20:06 -0600 (CST)

>Ron/List,
>
>   Sort of relating to what Brian said about 'shorter', what about the
>pianos which use 4 short felts over the longer dampers? Does this work
>any better that the 'normal' two felts? I guess this is primarily in
>the bass area on larger grands? Just wondering.
>
>Avery

Hi Avery,
I don't think anyone answered you on this one did they? I've generally had
better luck with shorter felts than longer. Three short ones will often work
better than two long ones because of where the felts fall on the string
nodal points. That's about as technical as I can get with it. Four could
very easily work better than two or three felts for the same reason. I
haven't tried it. Placement is more important than size. This gets real
interesting in the high bass and low tenor where the damper head is short
and trimmed to clear the plate strut. I can easily spend more time on those
four or five dampers than on the rest of the set combined. Then again, maybe
that's just me.

 Ron