Removing Bass Strings

Steve Grattan lostchordclinic@ameritech.net
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:06:30 -0500

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> At 02:53 AM 3/29/99 EST, you wrote:
> >
> >I believe this subject has been discussed before but I can't remember what the
> >consensus is.
> >
> >Is it safe to remove the bass strings without lowering the tension on the rest
> >of the scale?
> >
> >I have done this before with no problem on a couple of old uprights but this
> >is a Baldwin SF-10.
> >
> >Dave Bunch
> >

> Hi Dave,
> I don't recall *ever* hearing of anyone who did have a problem with it, and
> a lot of us have done it more than once. It should be quite safe if the
> piano is structurally sound, but I don't like to leave the piano too long
> under tension without bass strings, just on principal. I have had pianos set
> for three or four days with the bass off without problems, but I'd rather
> wrap it up in the same day if possible. You can put off removing the old set
> until you have the replacements and are ready to install them and it will be
> minimally traumatic for both the piano and you. <G> Just out of curiosity,
> what prompted the replacement?
>
>  Ron

At the risk of getting flamed to a crisp....  about 12 years ago I
restrung a SD-10 that Baldwin had identified as one of the prototypes of
this piano.  We put the plate back in exactly the same height that it
came out.  Baldwin sent me a bubble gage and the instructions how to set
the downbearing.  We had refinished the plate and replaced all of the
accu-just pins (which were breaking). I quickly found out that with the
strings at full tension (necessary for setting downbearing), the hitch
pins were not 'tall' enough.  The plate would need to be raised by 3/16"
of an inch.  Baldwin advised me to leave the strings at full tension,
loosen the plate and proceed to raise it as necessary.  I sweat bullets
as I was doing it, but they stated that the plate was designed to take
that kind of tension.  The piano is still used everyday in a college
setting and has had no problems.

Steve Grattan