super glue battle

jennfee@ibm.net jennfee@ibm.net
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 03:06:04 -0500

Burndkrisp@AOL.COM wrote:

> [...]
> to take it completely out and replace it with a "new pin". The one I am taking
> out was blue, but I show the couple the new one and get them to ok a silver
> pin. Now when I put in the new one it barely fits? Well since I know how to
> use SG I can put in any pin and just "SG" it.  So I have to take out the
> action to make sure the SG doesn't drip on the hammers. I pull the action. Man
> it's got some black s**t all over the bottom of it and my hands are still
> black! But I didn't see the black stuff until I set it on the couch which is
> of course, white!  (I carry peroxide and I can get that stain out. They know
> this and when I come back for the check up I'll fix it). So, I put the SG in
> and put my finger over the bottom of the tuning pin hole to make sure it
> doesn't come out. All is fine and good until I shoot it with the fixer. Man I
> had the shock of my life! All of a sudden my finger is on fire! I can't take
> it from the hole because the SG is holding it in place! It's burning like
> hell.  And I can't budge it. I try wiggling it round and round, but the skin
> just stays stuck!!!! I want to scream but I am in someone elses house. Finally
> the pain stops, but I still can't move my finger. I start to think about what
> I am going to do when the lady walks in. I quickly stop grimacing and tell her
> everything is almost finished but that I have to wait for the SG to set and so
> on. She says that her & her husband go to bed at 8 pm and could I just come
> back in the morning. I come up with a great one. I tell her that this process
> has to be completed in one day or otherwise it'll be "defective". So they wait
> up.
>         Meanwhile I think an finally come up that a good lube will do the job and
> sure enough I got some of this white oil. I rub it all over the finger and
> just massage it until my finger starts to peel off. Whew!  I don't know what
> white oil is but it's really good stuff. I use it all the time for pedal
> squeaks and things like that. I'll ask my man where he get's it. The guy I
> worked with used to mix it in a bottle and spray it when he couldn't find a
> squeak. I don't do that, but I just keep squirtin' till it stops making noise.
> Works!
>         So now it's 8:30 I only got two and a half octaves to go. I tell the lady
> I'll be done in about 45 minutes. She says great and asks if she could pay me
> now so they could go to bed.  Victory!   Of course, I tell her. And then I let
> her know I will do the "check up" for free.  I finish tuning the piano in
> about twenty minutes. Now most of the piano is at 440, but not all.
>         Question(s) Should I use more SG and tune it again on the free check up? How
> tight should the pins really be? I checked with my tourque wrench and all of
> the pins go off the dial. Can they still slip even when I can't budge them?
> What is the black stuff? What will remove it from the furniture if peroxide

Dear wayne:

Wow! Sure sounds like you had your hands full on this one!  Unlike some
of the other snobs on this list, I would like to respond to your
questions without subjecting you to mockery and humiliation.
As a fellow "newbie", I find it discouraging when others ridicule us
when all we're trying to do is learn and make a few bucks along the way.
Don't give up!
When I decided to be a piano technician last week, my first couple of
days were really tough. But since then I've found that this is a great
profession where there's lots of cash to be made for very little actual
work or thought.
First, I think you could have avoided a lot of trouble if you weren't so
concerned so much about A440. Do you really think that anyone can tell
the difference between 440, 435, etc.? Personally, I can't count that
fast and have no intention on wasting time learning to do so. I also
don't think it's neccessary to use an expensive, sophisticated machine
like your Korg tuner. I've come up with a great system that I'm willing
to share with you:
Since I'm always on the go, I carry a cell phone with me so my drinking
buddies can always let me know where they'll be when I'm done my last
job for the day. Not only does it make me look pretty cool, but if you
listen carefully, you'll find that the dial tone produces two fairly
distinct tones: An F and an A. It may take a while but if you persevere,
you'll start to be able to determine which one is the A. (this also
impresses the hell out of my clients when I demonstrate this talent)
With a little practice, you'll soon find that you can get an F by
pressing the "ONE" button, G from the FOUR, D from STAR, E from TWO, and
B from POUND. There isn't a good C on the phone but once you have all
the others, if it's in between B and D you should be fine. At first it
will be hard to pick out the tones because there's other pitches in
there as well but you'll get it eventually. (I think this is what other
tuners are talking about when they refer to "inharmonicity". Don't worry
about the black keys because they're hardly ever used anyway. So now
that you've set your temperament, make the notes above the temperment go
progressively up or "higher" and make the notes below go down or "lower"
It's really hard to hear the highest and lowest notes on most pianos so
if you start breaking strings, you know you're turning the handle too
much.
As you discovered, sometimes even when the greatest care is taken,
strings will break. Why do you think there's three of them on most
notes? Spares!!  Just remove the broken wire and pin and save them just
in case you are unlucky enough to have all three of them break on
another piano. Speaking of pins, you mentioned silver and blue ones. I
can't figure out for the life of me why there's never been a standard
colour. I just paint all of mine red to match the felts.(make sure you
don't get any on the plate as this is a dead giveaway of a sloppy
technician)
To avoid those "funny" pins you talked about, just give them all a good
dose of 3 in 1 oil to make 'em good and limber. You may find that some
of them even get too loose, but this is where the "SG" is a life saver.
You had the right idea, but don't be shy. Apply lots of the stuff and
get the pin where you want it FAST! Just to make sure, I always pour a
little epoxy over it. Some would say this is overkill but if you're a
perfectionist like me, you need to know in your own heart that you've
done everything possible to keep the piano in perfect working order for
your clients.
Finally, Don't beat yourself up over pianos that don't turn out
perfectly. You're only human and can't be expected to revive every hunk
of junk that's thrown at you, especially those old Steinway clunkers.

Stick with it and good luck!!

Dale Davidson
Ottawa, Ont.