crystal soundboards....Bill B.

btrout@desupernet.net btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 14:46:21 -0500

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:
I'm quite used to people making such remarks about the use of HT's.  The most
vehement denouncements come from those who never have nor could tune an HT,
believe that only ET is correct but habitually tune Reverse Well without even
knowing it.

I've never known something I could bet on with more certainty.

Hi Bill,

I hope you won't be offended by my post, but I would like to respectfully
disagree.  I did fly off the handle a bit the other night with a post about
temperaments, and I apologize for my lack of tact and a bad attitude.  But those
are some pretty big statements considering the company you are in.

I'm one of the ET tuners.  I do like it, and have reasons why.  I do rather
resent your saying that ALL ET tuners tune a Reverse Well temperament and don't
know it.  I'll have you know I spend a lot of time listening to those beats
comparing one to the next, listening very intently for the gradual and even
increase in beat rates.  I take it seriously, and I won't quit 'till I have it
right.  Perhaps there are those who tune a Reverse Well.  I know of quite a few
tuners that tune a pattern and that's what it is and that's what you get,
regardless of how the intervals sound.  That speaks poorly of all of us when they
do that.  But to lump us all in the same group is a mistake as well.

As for other tuners being ABLE to tune a HT, I think you've missed the boat on
that one too.  In all due respect, I believe that I could learn to tune almost
any HT.  As a matter of fact, I worked with several HT's before I learned to tune
ET.  I'm sorry, but I did not find them to be satisfying to me.  The ever present
'wolves' and 'oddities' drove me nuts.  (And I can see this one coming... "you
didn't learn to tune them well enough to evaluate them properly".  I have not
pursued them because I don't like them on the piano.  For what it's worth, I do
enjoy changing temperaments on the organ at church for a particular piece from
time to time, but for someone that plays many styles in many key signatures, I
always come back to ET, sometimes very quickly.

Bill, you seem to be someone who is a very accomplished tuner. I respect that.
It's not as easy as it's sometimes made out to be.  I don't wish to make an
enemy, but I just don't agree.  There is a reason that HT's are historical.

Thanks for hearing me out.  Again, I'm sorry I spouted off the other night.  But
I think some of the points I addressed may be valid.

Wishing you good health and happiness,

and with a sincere heart,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.