Painting Sharps

Sat, 27 Mar 1999 07:22:55 -0500

I am not familiar with Apsco Keyblack, but it sounds like a dye/stain.
Try this on one key: clean each sharp with mineral spirits to remove
grease,wax, etc..  Scuff it with a grey scotchbrite rubbing pad(available
at paint and hardware stores), and wipe off "scuff dust" with rag
dampened with mineral spirits.  Mask off key, then spray with black
lacquer from a spray can.  I would not recommend high gloss unless you
have some pretty pristine sharps and a great technique.  Try semi-gloss
or satin if you can find them.  If there are places where the black has
worn off considerably, you could try wiping it down with the stain first,
removing all excess and allowing sufficient dry time before top-coating.
Hope this helps.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com