Proper Approach? - CA pinblock repairs

JPIESIK JPIESIK@arinc.com
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:35 -0500

Hi Joe,

I knew I'd strike a chord, and yet, I don't mean to offend. I too have pounded
down a couple sets of pins myself, and have done work on clunkers when it was
all that the family could afford. I believe that any music is better than no
music.

I guess I am trying to stir up a general philosophy among us, and that is, it's
OK to give your professional opinion and recommend burial of dead (or near-dead)
pianos. We can help new piano sales with this philosophy. It makes sense to me.

We are going to encounter many more worn out pianos in the future - why not
encourage people to rebuild or replace them, as opposed to applying bandaids?

Regards,

John Piesik, RPT
Oceanside, CA

Hi John,
First salvo. <G> "It all begins upon and ends upon the way you look at
things."
The majority of the pianos that I service are old uprights and grands of
little value that will most likely be used only for a few years. To make
costly repairs to such an instrument
is not what the customer is looking for.
In most cases a quick repair that will last for a few years and does not
cost more than the piano is worth is what the customer wants.
However, other factors, such as worn out actions that will no longer allow
the student to
play the instrument without frustration discouraging them will lead me to
advise the owner to consider replacement of the instrument.

Joe Goss

 - it's clear to me that *complete* pinblock treatments are an
> indication that the piano is either ready for restringing or the grave.
It's
> always good to have a trick up your sleeve for that lone loose pin or
two. But,
> there comes a point in time when we must be up front with piano owners
and
> encourage them to replace their piano (preferably with good-quality new)
when