Proper Approach? - CA pinblock repairs

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:42:09 -0800

Here's a bit more on the CA glue thread.  It is not only non-toxic, but has even gained acceptance in medical professions.  Don't know where things are at present, but I believe it has uses in surgery where sutures are inappropriate, such as intestines, etc.  the last I recall was that it has been approved for veterinary use, and possibly on humans as well.  I personally have used it on many occasions for closing cuts on fingers, and the like.  It stops the bleeding, as it virtually seals the cut completely, and makes a band-aid unnecessary.  It holds the cut closed for about three or four days, usually long enough for the cut to have knitted together.  I also understand it has some antiseptic properties as well.  Pretty cool stuff.
Recently I used CA glue on the tip of a violin bow, which had broken after being dropped.  It was a quality bow, worth several hundred dollars before the damage, but now virtually worthless.  No local violin shops would touch it.  Fool that I am, I decided to give CA a chance.  Not only did the repair hold, when I took it to the local violin repair guru for a rehair, he didn't see it!  Probably wouldn't have rehaired it if he had.  He even commented on what a nice bow it was!  It has worked perfectly since, and the bow response didn't change either, which is always a concern in any type of bow repair.   It remains to be seen if it will last many years with the kind of strain it gets in that type of application.  For the time being, it resurrected a 'dead' bow from the grave.
Regards,
Steve

>>> Ellsworth <HOOD@uwplatt.edu> 03/25 8:43 PM >>>
More about CA glue - I rooted through all my old Fine Woodworking back issues
and sure enough they had a big article on glues.About CA glues: "Most CAs exude
vapors that are extremely irritating to the eyes, but are relatively non-toxic,
so no special protective equipment is needed when working in a well ventilated
area."  The big hazard is glueing yourself to the work or to yourself.  FW is
very careful about health hazard and OHSA issues; the writer is one of their
regulars, Chris Minick,, a product development chemist.
	So don't obsess too much about those fans, unless the effect is desired
with the customers -
	Margaret Hood