Damper Configurations

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 23:54:32 -0600 (CST)

Well, I see you guys are doing pretty much what I'm doing, give or take a
minor psychotic episode or two. Brian T is certainly right in saying that
shorter (under 3/4") is generally better than longer. Jim B, Vince, Brian
and Wim  are right in saying that you can add the third, use what was
originally there as a point of departure, and  do whatever works...
respectively. The only other criteria I've come up with is to try to
position the transitions between double trichords, trichord and pad, and two
pad configurations to try to blend the damping efficiency up through the
treble so there isn't a big difference in damping rate (I almost said
"leakage") at the transitions. That would mean, mostly, not taking the
trichords too high, and making whatever deals were necessary with whatever
snake haired administrators of such things as were available to accomplish
this. I try to use the best I can get from the bass as a standard for the
rest. Mostly, I try to do what I reasonably can with it without letting it
take over my life. Then there's the spot where they end, followed by no
damper at all. I had someone complain about their piano last week that the
notes in the treble keep on ringing, like, maybe, those damper things
weren't working, except at the very top, where it just went "dink". ((Very)
Heavy) Sigh.  Where dampers are concerned, we are definitely having fun.
It's ALIVE, it won't SHUT UP!!!

Thanks much for the responses.

 Ron