Damper Configurations

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:50:13 -0600 (CST)

Hi gang,
Scraping damper heads in the shop this morning, and planning what damper
configuration was going back in, something occurred to me that hasn't come
up in List discussion. At least, if it has, I missed it, and I think it
would be interesting and informative. So here's the question. When
installing dampers, do you have a favorite configuration of wedges and pads
that you adapt to individual pianos, or do you try to reproduce what was
there? Since what was there sometimes didn't seem to work as well as it
could (which, I know, could be from old hard dampers as easily as a less
than optimal choice of pads), or the cut of the felt is peculiar to the
brand and isn't available any more, what's your criteria of choice when you
install the new felt? What's your damper schedule?

 Ron