Customers don't over- or underpay me

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:16:07 -0600

I was thinking of turning these over to a collections agency and letting
them have as much of the collection as they like.  My wife and I had a hard
time buying a house a couple of years ago because of a $20 outstanding
department store bill (that we had the receipt for) and it was a hassle.
LANCE LAFARGUE, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANO SERVICES
New Orleans Chapter
Mandeville, LA.
_______________________________
II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II
lafargue@iamerica.net

----------
> [...]
> Date: Wednesday, March 24, 1999 10:26 PM
>
> Lance (and other friends on the list),
>
> Even if the guy never pays you the $525, you only lose $250 ($525 - $75
> - $200 = $250).  Chances are, you rarely lose this much money in a
> year's time (I hope), so you have reason to be thankful.
>
> If I get to a home and no one is there to let me in, I wait 15 minutes
> then leave a letter which says:
>
> "Dear Client,
>
> When I arrived as scheduled I was unable to gain access to your piano.
>
> If there was an unforeseen emergency that prevented you from being home,
> please let us know.  We are very understanding, knowing there are
> instances when the welfare of a friend or family member takes precedence
> over piano service.
>
> If this problem was due to an oversight on your part we recognize that
> all of us make similar mistakes now and then.  Nevertheless, piano
> technicians have little more to sell than their time and skills.  A
> failed appointment means a significant loss, since it will now take two
> appointments to service your piano when payment is received for only
> one.  The extra time from the failed appointment can rarely be used
> profitably.
>
> We have developed the following policy if the second instance is the
> case.  We are willing to absorb the loss for the first occurrence.
> Should the same happen again, you will be requested to pay half the
> normal tuning charge, plus mileage costs if they apply.  Both of us wish
> to be treated fairly, and from our viewpoint this policy appears more
> than fair.
>
> Please call if you would like to schedule another appointment.  Thank
> you for understanding."
>
> And I go off to get a cup of coffee and read the paper.  The above is
> not copyrighted.  :-)  Feel free to use it.
>
> Clyde Hollinger, RPT
> Lititz, PA, USA
>
> Lance Lafargue wrote:
> >
> > In the last couple of months I have had at least three customers
> > intentionally overpay me, I guess because they received more than they
> > thought they would, etc.  One lady overpaid me $200 because she was so
> > happy, last week $75 overpaid for a $300 job, etc.  (I'm charging
$45/hr.)
> >  THEN, last month a guy I worked for asked if I would allow him to pay
me
> > 1/2 in Feb and 1/2 in March since I did more work and charged more than
he
> > thought (I was open-ended on the original estimate because of the
> > uncertainty of what would be needed, I was clear with him).  Now he's
> > almost a month late with the balance ($525) and I'm getting a little
> > nervous.
> >
> > My point is just that there is such a difference in people and how they
> > treat you, how they  (do or don't) appreciate you, etc.  I've learned
never
> > to be generous to one person just because everyone else seems so nice.
You