Update on Wurlitzer breaking bass strings

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 20:40:45 -0600

Some time ago, I asked the list about a problem I was having with bass
strings breaking in Wurlitzer consoles. I think I have found the cause of
the problem, and will relate it to you.

As some suggested, the pins were indeed driven in a little further to help
with loose pins. This caused an extreme angle from the coil to the plate and
the string overlapped onto the coil. Over time, the strings break at the
stress point at the coil. The reason I think this is the cause is that I
have tuned a couple of Wurlitzers since then and found that the pins in them
were not in as far, and most were loose. Therefore, it appears that previous
techs drove them in to correct the problem. Unfortunately, this creates a
problem which shows up later. Now I know what NOT to do to "fix" a loose
tuning pin in a Wurlitzer. The quick fix, while acceptable in larger upright
pianos, may not be a long-term "solution" in the Wurlitzer console and
spinet.

For what it's worth,

John Formsma