Universal Players

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 17:58:33 -0600 (CST)

>Just so happens I've recently run across one of these and the owner is
>looking to part with it. I agree completely with your assessment. However,
>this one is in "like new" condition. It probably has less than an HOUR of
>playing time on it.
>
>It was purchased new about 15 years ago, has never been tuned and
>regulation is non-existant.But, there it is in all its stained glass front
>glory complete with gargoyels, lions heads,grapes and leaves "carvings"
>In Oak.
>
>Owner says they paid about $4K for it. Care to venture a guess as to what
>it  should sell for today? (regulated and tuned, of course)
>
>Paul E. Dempsey, RPT

Paul,
Not a clue. The market for players here has been nonexistent since the mid
eighties and I'm WAY out of touch. Seems like it ought to be worth about
what they paid for it though, since you'd have twice that in rebuilding an
original to that condition. Not bad rent huh? If it was me, I'd try to stay
out of it altogether so I wouldn't have to service the darn thing. I'd
expect the pouches to be saying goodby in mass when it gets to it's new home
and gets a few hours play on it, so be ready for some fun. It wouldn't hurt
to do enough creative disassembly to get a look at them to be sure, if the
owner's willing to pay you for the insurance. Even then, everyone knows they
can buy a perfectly good working player for under $1500 (not!), so you may
have trouble selling it. Maybe someone would like a nice colorful lit up
shelf to put their garg... er... pictures on.

Good luck
 Ron