Victorian Tuning, "usual" or "best"?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 18:09:06 EST

In a message dated 3/23/99 8:16:28 AM Central Standard Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

<< As Owen J. said, "there has never been an improvement in temperament". >>

Very fine reply, Ed.  I shall keep the above statement as my motto.  There is
only an infinitely different set of compromises that might be attempted, is my
response to that statement.

My take on the difference between the "best" and "usual"  Broadwood
temperaments is the "usual" might well be considered a usual Victorian type of
temperament to offer but if the customer/artist seems especially sensitive
and/or likes the idea basically but still finds certain 3rds too harsh, the
"best" might then be the best one to offer.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin