Touch weight

Danny BODDIN danny.boddin@planetinternet.be
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 11:10:34 +0100

Fax 00 32 (0)2 582 32 07
    -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
    Van: Vince Mrykalo <Vince@byu.edu>
    Aan: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Datum: donderdag 4 maart 1999 18:37
    Onderwerp: Re: Touch weight
   =20
    Do you have wippen helper springs in that action?  To remove weight =
from the hammers, use the end of a belt sander and remove material from =
the sides about an inch and a half down from the crown.  That will give =
you a sort of hour-glass figure to the hammers if you were to look at =
them from the front or back. =20
    Don't go by the up and down weights alone after you do this.=20
    Make sure that the balance weight (upweight plus downweight divided =
by two) stays consistently between 35 and 37.
   =20
    At 11:36 PM 3/3/99 -0500, you wrote:=20
   =20
   =20
        Another way you may want to try is to lighten the hammers.  Are =
you a good hammer filer?  I've done this on several occasions and it =
works!  There's a lot of felt on most of the hammers you can buy today.  =
I think most of the sets I've ordered, regardless where they were from, =
were larger than they needed to be.  One thing you'll have in your favor =
is the way the action geometry will affect how much felt you'll need to =
remove.  If the hammer travels 1 7/8 in, while the key travels 3/8 in., =
that's a ratio of 5 to 1.  If you remove aprox. 2 oz. of weight from the =
hammer, you'll remove aprox. 10 oz. of touchweight.  Depending upon how =
well the action is weighted now, and upon how even you file those =
hammers, you may need to do some work with the key weights to even out =
the touchweight.=20
       =20
       =20
       =20
        Rogerio Cunha wrote:=20
       =20
            To the listI am just working on a grand ( B=F6sendorfer ) =
and on it I applied new hammers ( original ) , new center pins, and =
others items as knuckles, etc, etc,All the material applied is original =
and all the work was made with care and the final product was very, very =
good except the touch weight.I did all that I learned and read but =
wasn't possible to obtain 52 g on the 1st section, 50 g on the 2nd =
section and 48 g on the 3rd and 4th section and this is the problem that =
I want to know. ( these are manufacturer measurements)The difference is =
about +10 g on each section.What to do?I think that the only way would =
be to put leads on the keys. Is this correct?To use the piano with + 10g =
of touch weight is good?If isn't possible to obtain the manufacturer =
measurements what are the good touch weight?I thanks to allROGERIO CUNHA =
- IC MEMBER OF THE GUILD=20
         =20
   =20
   =20
    Vince
    <mailto:vince@byu.edu>
    Visit the web page for the Pacific Northwest Conference at:=20
    <www.pnwpianoconf.com>=20