piano tuners are 126

cjbond@geocities.com cjbond@geocities.com
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:30:00 -0600

> I moved from a city of 100,000 to a small town of 2500 for the reasons
> we rural tuners know..........
>
> The town I live in is the county seat - the county's population is about
> 10,000.  The point?  I make a darn good living servicing pianos in our
> town and surrounding area (about 25 miles radius.)  Why?  Because there
> aren't any other tuners around for 80 miles or more.
> If you can find a small community with no competition and you perform
> good quality work, word travels fast and you'll be earning a living in
> no time.
>
> Jay Mercier
> Piano Technician
> Glenwood, MN

I totally agree!  I just moved from a small town where I was the only
piano tech within a 50 mile radius and lived 15 miles from 2 county
seats.  Advertising was dirt cheap and word-of-mouth spread like
wildfire as it always does in small towns.  Now I live in a large
metropolitan area and find getting started much more difficult.
Word-of-mouth is slow at best, and advertising expensive, not to mention
there's about a dozen of us around here.  The work is here, but will
take more time to get established.

Julie