piano tuners are 126

Jay Mercier jaymercier@hotmail.com
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 21:21:44 PST

>From: "Mark Bolsius" <markbolsius@optusnet.com.au>
>To: pianotech@ptg.org
>Subject: Re: piano tuners are 126
>Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 18:20:45 +1100
>

>Frank Cahill wrote:
>
>What does a working spouse have to do with living in a small town?
>Seems to me, that folks living in big EXPENSIVE cities would be more
>likely to need two incomes.
>
>In my area, we have the highest percentage of two income families in
the
>country. Two reasons for this (IMHO):
>
>1. It's so expensive you need a high income to survive.
>
>2. Most people are very career oriented, and what people do for a
living
>is often the basis of how they are veiwed (or respected) by others.
>
>Yes, your job sure beats the heck out of working at Wal Mart...bet it
>pays better to.
>--
>
>Frank Cahill
>Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
>Northern Va
>
>Frank,
>Living in a small town often means there's not enough work to do earn a
>living!
>Sure, living in a city costs more, and we have to do alot of work to
pay
>those costs, but at least we have the population base to support our
>business. The work is there to do, and so are the people who can afford
>get the work done. Rural areas have always had it tough getting piano
>service for these very reasons.
>
>I have often looked hard at living in a rural area for lifestyle
reasons,
>but each time have not pursued the idea due to the lack of  work and
the
>quality of what little work that is there....mostly PSO's with the
>occassional ray of sunshine! I put up with the city so that I can have
the
>more frequent ray of sunshine and only the occassional PSO.
>
>Don't be too hard on our rural dwelling list member (sorry I don't have
her
>name in front of me). Or her working partner for that matter. His
income
>probably makes the same difference your working partner does.
>
>Mark (earning half our living) Bolsius

Living in a small town often means there's not enough work to do earn a
>living!

Not True!

Rural areas have always had it tough getting piano
>service for these very reasons.

Not all the time.

I moved from a city of 100,000 to a small town of 2500 for the reasons
we rural tuners know..........

The town I live in is the county seat - the county's population is about
10,000.  The point?  I make a darn good living servicing pianos in our
town and surrounding area (about 25 miles radius.)  Why?  Because there
aren't any other tuners around for 80 miles or more.
If you can find a small community with no competition and you perform
good quality work, word travels fast and you'll be earning a living in
no time.

Jay Mercier
Piano Technician
Glenwood, MN