Proper Approach? - CA pinblock repairs

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:23:42 -0500

At 04:59 PM 3/22/99 EST, you wrote:
>John Ross wrote:
>
><<It is my understanding, that the glycerine treatment is a no no.
>Apparently it works by the glycerine attracting, moisture. Over the years it
>attracts more and more moisture, and you end up with rot.
>Just what I heard, it may or not be true.>>
>
>Well, the glycerine is hygroscopic, in that it draws moisture out of the air.
>I know it works pretty well in Phoenix, but then we are extremely dry.  It is
>quite usual to see pianos moved to Phoenix become untuneable in a year or
two.
>I have seen pianos treated with glycerine for more than 20 years here, and
>have never seen or heard of any "rot."
>
>Interestingly enough, the treatment works well only once. If it was done once
>25 years ago, there vill be almost no improvement in torque with another
>treatment. If the piano has never been treated, it is good for 10-20 inch
>pounds of torque, which is why it is generally done with some pin tapping for
>more effect.
>
>I am extremely impressed with the CA treatment. I have seen it fail in
>Garfield treated pianos, but never saw a failure in treating a formerly
>glycerine treated block. This prompted my original question.
>
>If the glycerine treatment truly fails in other regions of the country, I
>would like to hear something about that.
>
>Secondly, if not glycerine, and before CA, what would you consider was the
>proper treatment, if any?  Surely it cannot be Garfield's, for I have seen
>nothing but disasters with that!
>
>Bill Simon
>Phoenix

Am I missing something? I am under the impression that Garfields Pinblock
Restorer IS alcohol and glycerin, with some kind of resin or other secret
ingredient added. I have used it on a few PSOs a few years back and it is
still working (more or less) on them. They are not my favorite pianos to
tune, but then again, they weren't before I treated them either :-) What
kind of disasters, like you still couldn't tune them? Or string breakage?
Does anyone who knows about CA glues still use Garfields?
Ken Jankura
Newburg, PA