August Forster - drop problems

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 18:18:32 +1100

Cal,
Two things.
- Check the action spread, the older August Forsters used a Fleming action
that required a spread (according to their technical advice) of 115 mm (you
should have read the fax they sent me when I requested the action
specs....beautiful example of German English......shame I don't have it to
share anymore) . The geometry of those actions is questionable at best, so
check things like the line between the balance pin, capstan and whippen
centre as well.
I had a chronic problem with a very similar piano, unfortunately I didn't
get the job so I don't know what the best fix was!
- For removing rollers/knuckles that have been originally glued with animal
glue, I soak the roller with denatured alcohol (methylated spirits as we
call it in Australia), loosen the glue joint with a sharp chisel from both
sides and then use a large pair of wire cutters to gently ease it out. There
are roller type pliers in various catalogues, I don't have them, so I can't
tell you if help or not.
BTW I prefer Renner knuckles as a replacement, the Tokiwa seems a bit
hard/noisy for my tastes, there seems to be an ideal skin/leather density
that is not so soft it wears or flattens quickly, but is not so hard that it
is noisy as the actions rebounds or resets .....(he says as he dives into
the closet for his asbestos suit)

Happily roll(er)ing along
Mark Bolsius

PS Reading back on this I haven't been terribly helpful, hope it gives a
clue or two to check out.